Home / UK Cycling Accident Claims / Claim for Cycling Accident Injury Compensation Resolved

Claim for Cycling Accident Injury Compensation Resolved

A woman, who suffered multiple injuries when the brakes on her rented bike failed, has resolved her claim for cycling accident injury compensation.

In July 2013, Phyllis Bright (21) travelled up to the Peak District with her boyfriend to enjoy a day of cycling. The couple rented bikes from the Peak District National Park Authority´s visitor centre in the Fairholmes car park and then set off in the direction of the Upper Derwent Valley.

However, as the couple were descending a hill towards the Abbey Brooke Bridge, Phyllis – a student nurse from Lincoln in the East Midlands – realised that the brakes on her bicycle were not working and leapt from her bike to avoid crashing into the stone wall of the bridge.

As the result of hitting the ground at speed, Phyllis suffered cuts and bruises to her chest, legs and arms, and a jaw injury. She was taken to the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield, where she received treatment for her injuries and stitches for the cuts to her hand and chin.

After seeking legal advice, Phyllis made a claim for cycling accident injury compensation against the Peak District National Park Authority, alleging that the bike she had rented had not been properly maintained. The authority acknowledged liability and a four-figure settlement of her claim was agreed.

Speaking with the Sun newspaper after her claim for cycling accident compensation had been resolved, Phyllis said: “I’m glad I can now begin to put this all behind me and move on with my life after receiving a settlement from the park authority.”

She added: “Realising I had no brakes halfway down a steep hill with a stone bridge at the bottom of it was a scary experience. I never thought I’d end the day in an ambulance on the way to hospital with cuts and bruises all over me. The accident has left me with a number of scars that act as a long-term reminder of what happened and I really struggled to eat and sleep afterwards.”