The family of a tourist from Bangalore, who died from multiple organ failure, has made a claim for being scalded in a hotel shower against Whitbread PLC.
In August 2012, Kalyani Uthaman (59) was a guest at the Premier Inn in Newcraighall while she was sightseeing around Edinburgh. While staying at the hotel, she suffered burns to 25% of her body due to being scalded in the hotel shower. Kalyani died six weeks later due to multiple organ failure.
Despite doctors attributing Kalyani´s death to the degree of burns she sustained in the hotel shower, and separate investigations into the accident being conducted by Edinburgh City Council and Police Scotland, the Crown Office decided not to hold a fatal accident enquiry.
Frustrated by the pace at which information was being released to them, and the fact that they still had unanswered questions, the Uthaman family have now made a claim for being scalded in a hotel shower against Whitbread PLC – the owners of the Premium Inn budget hotel chain.
The Court of Session in Edinburgh has issued a summons against Whitbread PLC and scheduled the first hearing of the claim for being scalded in a hotel shower for November 20th – a “significant milestone” according to the family´s solicitor.
Subsequent to the issuing of the summons, a spokesperson for Premier Inn said: “This is a very sad incident. Our thoughts are with the family of Ms Uthaman during what must have been, and which must remain, an extremely difficult period for them.”
However, the sympathy within the statement was dismissed by the family for being the first communication from Premier Inn regarding the tragic accident for over two years. Kalyani´s son – Sundar – told BBC Scotland “It is an irreparable loss, given the love and affection she had for us and we had for her. It was something none of us expected would ever happen in a very safe country like the UK.”